Assurance of Salvation
Reworked from Glynn J. Douthit’s Bible Study Notes
- Listening and following God’s wisdom promotes an awareness of safety and lack of fear, Proverbs 1:33.
- Christ causes those that believe in Him to know the truth about sin. This knowledge enables a person to experience freedom from serving sin, John 8:31-38.
- Christ, as a good shepherd, knows his sheep, and the sheep know Him. Christ’s commitment is so strong that He was willing to die for His sheep, John 10:14-15.
- Christ knows His sheep, and they follow Him and He gives to them eternal life, and no one can take them from Christ, or God’s hands, John 10:27-29.
- Believing in Christ, the Son of God, sets spiritually legal evidence within a person. This legal evidence grants us eternal life in the Son of God, and enables us to know we have eternal life. Looking for assurance (or the feeling of assurance) before a decisive action to believe will cause it to remain elusive, I John 5:10-13.
- Eternal life is evidenced by our ability to demonstrate godly concern towards others, I John 3:14.
- The indwelling of the Holy Spirit testifies through trials to our spirit that we are children of God, and so heirs of God, Romans 8:16-17.
Friday, March 13, 2009 4:09 AM